The weather conditions in Spokane can be quite a mishmash of extremes during the Winter months. One day we’re having a nice, shiny day and the next we’re having to cross the frozen, snow-swept tundra!
Anyone from the area can tell you that when these swings happen — there’s bound to be some trouble on the road.
Many of these accidents happen during the first real storm because it catches people off guard and not everyone has adjusted (let alone those visiting the state that may not have driven in snow before).
As time goes on — many of the accidents happen due to low visibility, icy roads, and your typical negligence of driving too fast in conditions that heed caution.
Accidents happen. That’s why they’re called accidents.
In this short article, you’ll learn how to avoid becoming placed in the Spokane car accident list and, if you do, how to find a personal injury attorney in Spokane to get the just compensation you deserve.
5 tips for Winter driving & safety
Sometimes we all need to be reminded just how dangerous it can be when driving on icy roads and in the extreme Winter weather.
We forget because so much of the year is beautiful. When the snow starts falling it’s as if we completely forgot how we managed the year before.
Well, here are five different things to remember when driving your vehicle or motorcycle during the Winter months:
- Keep your distance (take the normal 2-3 car length and double it when weather conditions worsen).
- Check your tires to make sure they have the right pressure and an ample amount of tread. Consider replacing them with snow tires if you are uncertain you’ll be able to handle the icy roads with what you already have.
- Stay calm if you’re beginning to lose control. Don’t stomp the brakes. Don’t jerk the wheel and overcompensate.
- Keep supplies in the car in case you get into an accident on the backroads. Items like food, heating pads, and water will come in handy when you have to wait for help to arrive.
- Slow down! Don’t be a Spokane car accident statistic because you’re following too close or take a turn too fast.
Keep vigilant out there!
You may be the reason to cause an accident. It happens. However, if you’re the one on the receiving end then you should…
What to do after a Spokane car accident
Uh-oh. It happened.
You found yourself in a fender-bender or something serious (hopefully not!).
What needs to happen after an accident is the following:
- Don’t panic
- Stay on the scene and call 911, if needed, to report the accident (speak your name, location, and the situation)
- Take pictures of the damage and exchange insurance information
- Do not admit fault or speak to the other’s insurance company until you have an attorney present
- Consider seeking medical attention if you physically feel (or even suspect) you may have been injured
You may be in a fog when these events happen so it can be hard to keep your cool. Take your time. Let the initial shock wear off before you begin handling the paperwork and dealing with the police.
If you’re feeling that you’ve been injured or pressured by the insurance to sign into a bad settlement than you need to get in touch with an auto accident attorney in Spokane.
Need help? Get in touch!
Contact us Monday through Friday, 8am – 5pm. We’re here to help!