Civil rights are the foundation of our societal pursuit for a more equal and just world. These rights, granted to all who step foot in the United States of America, are crucial in maintaining a fair state of affairs nationwide. Unfortunately, there are times when these rights are negligently or purposefully violated for any number of reasons. This often leads to legal disputes that demand resolution and compensation. And if you find yourself the victim of an unfortunate civil rights violation, then a civil rights attorney in Spokane, WA, may be able to help you seek justice.
With more than a decade of experience, Joshua Maurer of Maurer Law can help you in the event that you have a civil rights claim. As your civil rights attorney in Spokane, WA, Joshua Maurer can be a strong advocate for you, your family, and your case. Moreover, you can expect a high level of transparency about the ongoings and minutiae of your case to ensure that you are satisfied with every step we take. That’s because, here at Maurer Law, you and your case are always treated with the respect and determination you deserve.
Common Types of Civil Rights Violations
Your civil rights protect you from many unwanted intrusions and disruptions to your life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness. Knowing what those civil rights are is essential to understanding when and how they are being violated. The most common violations of civil rights usually appear in the form of:
- Unreasonable searches and seizures of your person and/or property
- Wrongful termination or employment discrimination based on race, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, etc.
- Illegal traffic stops based on your immutable characteristics
- Excessive force and physical abuse by a public official
- Any violation of your Miranda Rights
Equipped with this information, if you believe that your civil rights have been violated and would like the assistance of a civil rights attorney in Spokane, WA, Joshua Maurer is ready to be the legal advocate you are looking for.
Steps to Take in the Wake of a Civil Rights Violation
Knowing what to do in the moments, hours, and days after your civil rights have been violated is essential for the strength of your case. If you believe that your civil rights have been infringed in any way, consider the following steps for building a stronger case.
- Document the Incident Thoroughly: The first thing that ought to be done is documenting and gathering evidence and information you can gather about the violation of your civil rights. This can pertain to the date, time, and location of the violation as well as any photographic, video, or text-based evidence of the incident. Of course, be sure to save anything you feel is relevant to your claim.
- Preserve Your Evidence: Just as substantial as gathering your relevant evidence is preserving it. Be sure to ensure that all of it is stored safely and securely somewhere private. For digital evidence, be sure to create multiple copies of the files and keep them on multiple devices to ensure that they are not lost. Sufficient evidence can make or break a civil rights case, so this is of the utmost importance.
- Exhaust Any Relevant Administrative Remedies: In some cases, you may want to exhaust a number of administrative remedies, such as reporting the incident to a government agency or department that handles civil rights violations.
- Consider Reaching Out to a Civil Rights Organization: In conjunction with reaching out to a civil rights attorney, you can also consider contacting a civil rights organization. These organizations can often provide valuable resources and advice to help support your pursuit of compensation.
- Consult With a Civil Rights Attorney in Spokane, WA: With your evidence gathered and well-preserved in a timely manner, you’ll want to consider seeking a local civil rights attorney to help you with your case.
Schedule Your Free Case Evaluation Today
Just like any legal case, making a claim and building a case promptly is critical when it comes to civil rights violations. If you or a loved one is looking to pursue a recent civil rights violation and would like the assistance of a civil rights attorney in Spokane, WA, Joshua Maurer of Maurer Law is available to be your strongest advocate.
To schedule your free case evaluation, call our office during regular business hours at 509-838-9111. You may also do so by getting in touch through our convenient contact form. We look forward to arguing your civil rights case and getting deserved compensation.